Work from home jobs are on the rise. Have you wondered if working from home was for you? Working from home provides flexibility. Whether you want to start your own business or work for someone else in the comfort of your own home, the opportunities are out there.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, over 33% of households reported household members were working from home more often due to the Covid pandemic.. In other countries, the story is much the same. According to the UK Office for National Statistics, over 45% of working adults did some work from home in 2020. In Australia there are even more home-based workers, over 65%, according to the Australian Institute of Family Studies.
No matter where you live, online jobs from homeare on the rise.
There are basically two types of work from home jobs:
- Those where you function as a consultant (or freelancer) and work from project to project. For these jobs you are self-employed.
- Online jobs from home where your employer allows you to perform your job from your home as a telecommuter.
In this article, we include jobs that can be done as either a telecommuter or as one who is self-employed. So which careers are more likely to allow you to work from home? Let’s take a look at the top ten work from home jobs (and more).
What Makes a Great Online Work from Home Job For in 2022?
Jobs that can be done from home usually don't require face-to-face customer interaction. So, especially with the Covid 19 pandemic, more companies have started offering home-based jobs.
Home-based jobs also tend to go to individuals with more education or specialized training. If you've got the right skills, you should be able to find an employer or client who allows you to work from home.
To prepare yourself for a work at home job focus on developing the right skills for the job you want. If you're a creative who wants to work from home, it's also helpful if you have a portfolio that showcases samples of your work. You can find online portfolio themes on our Envato Elements to help you put a showcase up on the web quickly.
Also, keep your resume up to date. You can find guidelines for creating a good resume and cover letter in Career Development .
The Best Source for Templates and other digital elements (With Unlimited Use)
Envato Elements is the best place to find high-quality templates. All you need to do is pay a low monthly fee to have access. Then you’ll have access to unlimited downloads to several different digital elements. The digital elements include:
- resume templates
- stock images
- royalty-free music
- WordPress portfolio themes
- and more.
Every template on Envato Elements is made by a professional to look high quality and stylish. This means that you’ll make an excellent first impression with a premium template. Envato Elements is an excellent value for anyone looking for high-quality digital elements. With the option of unlimited downloads that Envato Elements comes with, you’ll have the ability to test out templates to choose the right one for you.
Top 10 Online Work from Home Jobs for 2022 (and More)
Working from home has become more common in recent years. The recent pandemic caused people to look for online work from home or companies to move to online work from home. So here are the top 10 online jobs from home (and more):
1. Web Designer or Web Developer
Web designers creates and maintains websites. A web developer handles the coding and back-end of the website. They must be familiar with how to optimize a site and deal with any problems that may occur.
For both of these positions, demand is expected to grow faster than average over the next few years. Web developer pay varies with experience and skill level, but the average yearly pay for a web developer is about $70,863 according to Glassdoor.
Web developers often have an Associate’s degree. It’s important for web designers and web developers to continue learning since these fields change often.
You can start learning about web design and development with one of our manyweb design coursesor coding courses.
2. Writer or Editor
With the growth of the web, the need for writers has also grown. Writers still write for traditional publications such as newspapers and magazines. But now writers also create content for blogs and websites. Many also work as editors, correcting and checking the work of other writers. Technical writers are responsible for technical manuals and guides as well as online help systems.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects average job growth for most writing positions. Demand is expected to grow more quickly for those in the technical writing field. The average yearly pay for a writer is about $56,986. Editors average yearly pay is about $59,531. Technical writers earn more, with an average yearly pay of about $68,555.
Writers frequently have a college degree, often in a field related to writing such as journalism. Technical writers may have added training.
If you're interested in learning more about writing, check out our tutorial from Leo Babauta on getting started as a freelance blogger:
- How to Become a Freelance Blog WriterLeo Babauta06 Jul 2012
3. Customer Support and Customer Service
Customer support personnel often work for IT companies to offer technical assistance for computer programs or computer hardware over the phone. Customer service staffers deal with non-IT related customer questions. This work is easily done from a home office with a telephone and computer.
This field pays well. The average salary for a customer support specialist is about $44,389 per year. Customer service specialists usually earn about $37,772 per year.
Customer service positions typically require a high school diploma. The requirements to become a customer support specialist vary. Sometimes extra technical training is required.
4. Software Developers
Software developers create anything from computer programs to run on your desktop to apps for your mobile devices. The popularity of the web and growth in the use of mobile devices means there are a lot of opportunities for software developers.
Software development is a fast growing field with higher than average pay. The average pay for a software developer is about $97,763 per year.
Most software developers have college degrees. But this field changes rapidly so ongoing education is important. Keep your skills sharp and up to date with our training courses in coding.
5. Online Teacher or Tutor
Many schools and other organizations hire professional teachers for online courses. Opportunities are available at every level, from elementary school tutors all the way up to online college courses. There are also many organizations that offer an online teacher the opportunity to create courses to teach a particular skill.
Online schools and courses are increasingly popular. They provide non-traditional students with the opportunity to get an education from the comfort of their own home. They often have flexible class hours, so that a student can work a full or part-time job and still attend classes.
As might be expected, the pay for this type of work varies widely depending on how many courses are taught and what level. Tutors are often paid a lower, hourly rate. A full-time teacher, especially for an online public school, may expect to earn close to what his or her peers would earn in a traditional setting. On average, an online teacher earns $47,446 a year.
Public school teachers and college professors, in particular, are expected to have a teaching degree or a degree in the field that they teach.
We hire instructors to create our tutorials and courses remotely as well. Learn about teaching for Envato Tuts+ from your home.
6. Virtual Assistant
Are you looking for online work from home jobs? Consider being a virtual assistant.
Virtual assistants perform administrative tasks that include:
- answering email
- phone calls.
They also handle many other routine tasks.
Companies or individuals hire virtual assistants to handle time-consuming routine tasks so that they can spend more time on income-producing tasks.
There are no educational requirements for a virtual assistant. Some specialized virtual assistants may have training in a specific area. That's why, for a virtual assistant, experience and reputation are important.
The amount a virtual assistant earns varies based on their skills. Virtual assistants earn about $37,023 annually. Keep in mind that if they work for an agency, the actual amount a virtual assistant receives may be less.
7. Translator or Interpreter
As businesses become more global the need for communicating with clients in more than one language is increasing. For those who are fluent in many languages, global business has led to expanding opportunity.
Interpreters and translators accurately change documents and other information from one language to another. The average pay for this type of work is about $44,238 per year
Most translators are educated, with at least a bachelor's degree. Language fluency is the most important factor in getting this type of work. If you’re bilingual, then translation could be a great opportunity.
Sales people persuade consumers to buy a wide variety of products and services, ranging from real estate property to consumer products and more. Many sales people work from home and contact clients by phone, although some sales positions require face-to-face meetings.
Sales professionals often receive a base pay and commission based on how much they sell. For that reason, compensation varies. Average pay can range from $35,206 per year for sales associates to more than $68,00 a year for sales managers.
The educational requirements to become a sales person vary greatly. Some positions require a college degree, but for many the requirement is a high school diploma.
To find out if you have what it takes to become a sales person read this Envato Tuts+ post will get you started:
- Do You Have the Mind of a Sales Professional?George N Root III 27 Mar 2014
9. Graphic Designer
If you're artistic or have a flair for design, there are lots of work opportunities for you. Graphic designers create anything from corporate logos to posters and advertisements.
The average income for a graphic designer is about $50,227 per year. Many graphic designers have specialized training in design. Competition is fierce for this type of work, so if this is your field make sure that you have a strong portfolio.
To learn more about a career in graphic design read these Envato Tuts+ articles from Mary Winkler, from our learning guide on :
- So You Want to Be a Freelance Graphic Designer?Mary Winkler27 Mar 2015
- So You Want to Be an In-House Graphic Designer?Mary Winkler16 Jan 2015
Photographers take photographs for a wide variety of uses. Clients can include corporations who may use the photographs for their website or advertising. Clients may also include individuals who want a portrait.
While many photographers maintain a studio in their homes, they are often called upon to travel to work sites.
There is no educational requirement to become a photographer. But a photographer must be able to effectively use equipment to take high-quality images or video. Most photographers own several cameras and video devices, which may be expensive to get and maintain.
The average pay for a photographer is about $46,922 per year though there are opportunities to earn more. We have many Envato Tuts+ courses for photographyto learn more about the career and craft.
You don’t need to be a Certified Public Accountant to be a bookkeeper. But you need to have a college degree and at least some bookkeeping courses at a community college. The average salary is $40,361 a year.
12. Data Entry
Data entry clerks use computers and data processing programs to put information into a database or a documentation platform. Data entry is an online work-from-home job that doesn’t require a college degree. But most employers require a high school diploma or GED equivalent. The average salary for a data entry clerk is $32,419 a year.
13. Online Stylist
If you like fashion, then you could consider an online stylist as an online work-from-home job. In this job, you can pick out outfits for other people within a budget or follow the client’s requests. Some stylist jobs require a college degree in fashion design or a similar field. The average salary for an online stylist is $30,308 a year.
14. Virtual Recruiter
A virtual recruiter is another of the online work from home jobs. Some of the job duties are writing job descriptions and posting them online, searching and screening for potential candidates, reviewing job requirements, conducting interviews, and onboarding the new employment. A college degree is not typically required for this position, but most require a high school diploma or GED equivalent. The average salary for a virtual recruiter is $52,120 a year.
There's above average growth in the field of animation, driven by the need for special effects artists as well as computer animation specialists.
If you have some creative talent, you can consider becoming an animator as a work-from-home job. An animator forms a series of animations that can often be seen in movies, commercials, television, and video games. It’s not required to have a college degree to become an animator, but most places will prefer it if you do have a degree. The average salary for an animator is $69,896 a year.
Where to Find Work from Home Jobs
Where can you find a work from home job?
As more and more organizations include flexible and remote work options, online work from home jobs are easier to find than they used to be. Also, the freelance market is growing so there are lots of freelance opportunities for work at home jobs.
To find a work from home job use the following general tips that work with many job search engines and other job sites:
- To find a telecommuting job, include the words "work from home," "remote," or "telecommute" in your job search parameters.
- To find work as a freelancer or consultant, try the words "contract," "freelance," or "temporary" in the parameters.
When looking for a work from home job it's important to do your own research. While some sites screen job listings to ensure that the job posting is legitimate, others do not. Scams targeting those who want to work from home do exist. A good rule of thumb to remember is that if a job sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't a real job.
Here is a high-level overview of the types of sites you can use to find work at home jobs with examples of each type. Since the job placement field is very competitive, keep in mind that there is a lot of overlap between what the various types of sites offers.
Job Search Engine
A job search engine allows you to search listed positions based on a set of parameters. You can recognize this type of site because the main screen resembles a search engine. Here are some examples of popular job search engines:
- CareerBuilder. CareerBuilder is a job search site with a global presence. Use a variety of filters to find the type of job you are looking for.
- Glassdoor. Besides providing valuable insights about various employers and field, you can search for a job by field or by a specific employer
- Indeed. Indeed is a job search site with a worldwide presence. Under location choose between remote, work at home, home based, or field positions to find a work at home job.
- LinkUp. LinkUp is a newer job search engine that has attracted some well-known clients as well as some positive press.
Classified ads appear in publications and online. With a classified ad site, the employer or client pays to have an advertisement for their position listed. Most classified ads include more than just jobs. An example of a classified ad site is Craigslist. This site posts all types of online classified ads. Be cautious when answering a classified ad. If an employer or client wants to meet, always choose a public location.
Rather than a listing of jobs, an online marketplace is a listing of professionals.
A job screening site brings together job listings from other sites. The site may hire researchers to ensure that the jobs they share with their clients meet certain criteria. There may be a fee to use the advanced features. Two examples of this type of site are:
- FlexJobs. This service sorts through other job search resources to find jobs with a flexible option. The site's researchers also review each job to make sure it is legitimate. Set up a profile and post your resume to receive regular updates with possible job matches.
- VirtualVocations. Like the name implies, this website is for telecommuting jobs. The site's researchers screen and compile job listings from various sources. The site’s researchers also screen jobs to verify that the jobs are legitimate.
Social Media Sites
Many social media sites also contain job listings. LinkedIn is perhaps the best known for its job listings. Recruiters often use the site, making it a good place to have an online presence. While LinkedIn may be well-known for job listings, other social media sites have job listings as well.
There are many other types of job sites that don’t fit neatly into a category. Here's an example of another places to look for work from home jobs:
- We Work Remotely. This searchable listing of remote jobs can be a great resource for creatives and freelance professionals.
Find the Right Work From Home Job Today!
Whether you're just starting your career or want to make a switch, consider looking for online work from home jobs. To get started use one of the sites above to find an online work from home job today. And make sure your resume and personal site are up to date. We offer resources to assist you with resume templates and portfolio site themes from Envato Elements.
This post has been updated with contributions from Sarah Joy. Sarah is a freelance instructor for Envato Tuts+.
- Product Manager. Salary: $100,498, according to PayScale. ...
- Project Manager, Operations. Salary: $88,660, according to PayScale. ...
- Senior Project Manager, IT. ...
- Business Development Manager. ...
- Channel Sales Manager. ...
- Senior Account Manager. ...
- Senior Sales Executive. ...
- Front-End Developer.
- Social media management.
- Online tuition.
- Personal training.
- Online beauty consultancy.
- Online recruitment.
- Email marketing.
- Freelance writing.
- Branded Surveys.
- Survey Junkie.
- Opinion Outpost.
- Amazon MTurk.
- Mindswarms. Work online and get paid every week.
The estimated total pay for a Work At Home Telephone Customer Service Representative at Amazon is $24 per hour. This number represents the median, which is the midpoint of the ranges from our proprietary Total Pay Estimate model and based on salaries collected from our users. The estimated base pay is $17 per hour.
- Account Management. With the main responsibilities involving managing client relationships, account management jobs can often be done from home. ...
- Accounting and Finance. ...
- Administrative. ...
- Computer and IT. ...
- Consulting. ...
- Customer Service. ...
- Data Entry. ...
- English Teacher or English Tutor.
|Rank||Occupation||2021 Median Wages|
|Employment column one Hourly|
- Financial manager. ...
- Medical assistant. ...
- Software developer. ...
- Market research analyst. ...
- Substance abuse counselor. ...
- Health services manager. ...
- Statistician. ...
- Nurse practitioner.
- Information Security Analyst.
- Nurse Practitioner.
- Physician Assistant.
- Medical and Health Services Manager.
- Software Developer.
- Data Scientist.
- Financial Manager.
- Get clear on what skills you need for the job you want. ...
- Figure out your transferable skills and highlight them in your job search. ...
- Take an online class or earn a certificate. ...
- Apply for an online internship. ...
- Create an online portfolio (if relevant).
- Become a Ride-Share Driver. Average income of up to $377 per month. ...
- Make Deliveries for Amazon or Uber Eats. ...
- Become a Pet Sitter or Dog Walker. ...
- Get a Babysitting Gig. ...
- Install Christmas Lights for the Holidays. ...
- Become a Home Organizer. ...
- Help With Home Gardening. ...
- Assist With Deliveries or Moving.
- 1) Freelancer. Freelancer is free to work anywhere, anytime, and for any employer. ...
- 2) Data Entry. Online data entry jobs need you to input alphabetic, numeric data into the computer system. ...
- 3) Blogger. ...
- 4) Content writer. ...
- 5) Transcriptionist. ...
- 6) Social Media Manager. ...
- 7) YouTuber. ...
- 8) Online Tutor.
- Cashyy (Android Only)
- Mistplay (Android Only)
- Rewarded Play (Android Only)
- Swagbucks ($5 Signup Bonus)
- Ibotta ($5 Signup Bonuses)
- Rakuten ($10 Signup Bonus)
- MyPoints ($10 Signup Bonus)
- InboxDollars ($5 Signup Bonus)
- Public.com (Up to $70 in Free Stock)
- Webull (Up to $3,300 in Free Stock)
- M1 Finance ($50 Bonus)
- Teach English Online. Teaching English online is an excellent work-from-home job. ...
- 2. Facebook Ads Side Hustle. ...
- Flea Market Flipper. ...
- Blogging. ...
- Scopist. ...
- Transcriptionist. ...
- Bookkeeper. ...
- Virtual Assistant.
- Senior consultant. National Average Salary: $101,297 per year. ...
- IT security specialist. National Average Salary: $106,023 per year. ...
- Product manager. National Average Salary: $106,480 per year. ...
- Senior web developer. ...
- Front-End developer. ...
- Audit manager. ...
- Technical lead. ...
- Physician. Median base salary: $180,000. ...
- Lawyer. Median base salary: $144,500. ...
- R&D manager. Median base salary: $142,120. ...
- Software development manager. Median base salary: $132,000. ...
- Pharmacy manager. ...
- Strategy manager. ...
- Software architect. ...
- Integrated circuit designer engineer.
- Real estate agent. Real estate can be a lucrative line of work for the right person. ...
- Construction management. Construction can be a lucrative industry, particularly for skilled laborers and managers. ...
- Elevator/escalator installer. ...
- Commercial pilot. ...
- Web developer. ...
- Honorable mentions.